Sunday, April 13, 2014

Last - NaPoWriMo 13/30

Today I was particularly interested by the prompt over at NaPoWriMo, encouraging thus:
Our optional prompt for today is to write a poem that contains at least one kenning. Kennings were metaphorical phrases developed in Nordic sagas. At their simplest, they generally consist of two nouns joined together, which imaginatively describe or name a third thing. The phrase “whale road,” for example, could be used instead of “sea” or “ocean,” and “sky candle” could be used for “sun.” The kennings used in Nordic sagas eventually got so complex that you basically needed a decoder-ring to figure them out. And Vikings being Vikings, there tended to be an awful lot of kennings for swords, warriors, ships, and gold. But at their best, they are suprising and evocative. I hope you have fun trying to invent your own
Vikings? I only love Vikings and just finished watching the most recent episode of History Channel's amazing (and way better than Game of Thrones) Vikings, so this prompt hit me in a very fun place. I also felt like writing some haiku, so this seemed to be a nice pair.

Happy reading! Also, I'd love to hear what you think some of these kennings mean...

Last 

Willow rope and rime,
ocean breath upon the oars,
night as cold as Hel.

Underneath the pyres
Valkyr light across the sky,
frost flies bite my skin.

My children at home,
beyond this deepening dark…
Runes I'll never write.

No comments:

Post a Comment