Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Excuses, Excuses - NaPoWriMo 22/30

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt was to write a child's poem. I didn't set out to use that prompt today, but by the time I had finished a piece, I realized how the prompt had steered my writing whether I meant it to or not.

This particular piece I actually feel could be stretched on and on, into a children's book. I am holding on to that idea, so who knows...you may see this in book form with many more stanzas at some point.

What do you think? Does this read like children's book material? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Excuses, Excuses 

The dung beetle
would have taught me how to lower my standards,
how to find joy in everything for satisfaction's sake,
but I was too busy
plugging my nose.

The fox
would have taught me how to act quickly
and get what you could when you could,
but I was too busy
pulling the chick
from its mouth.

The deer
would have taught me how to accessorize for the
optimal opportunity to catch my darling's eye,
but I was too busy
steadying the scope.

The caterpillar
would have taught me how not everything
begins right where it was meant to end,
but I was too busy
wishing open
its cocoon.

The shark
would have taught me how it takes a lot of patience
to get what you want most, and that is half the fun,
but I was too busy
swimming
for the shore.

The cat
would have taught me how important it is
to take your time and savor every moment,
but I was too busy
counting down the years
one minute-hand at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. You're right though - it's got more in it... :)

    ReplyDelete