Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Poetry Experience

About a month ago I read a poem at my first open mic. I would have been glad to have read under any circumstances, but this particular night was so ideal I wonder if I'm secretly dreaming in some goo-bath matrix.

The open mic was part of a feature for Andrea Gibson. If that name doesn't trigger something in you, I recommend this and this immediately.

I had spent a good week beforehand preparing my poem 'A Letter to the Dance Pole' for performance, and my memorization paid off. After a slew of quality readings by other poets, I read my poem in an experience I only wish had been recorded in some way. Performing without slip-up or error, I left the stage elated and exhilarated, a feeling magnified by Andrea Gibson's encouragements afterward. The fact that my debut reading was in the presence of a poet whose work has contributed so much to the shaping and maturation of my own voice was unbelievable.

Needless to say, I've been itching to perform again. Which brings me to my question of the day: how do you prefer to receive poetry? Are you taken with spoken word, or do you stick with written poetry? Studio-recorded audio? Live performances on YouTube?

What is your ideal poetry experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment