Friday, March 22, 2013

Found Friday: Taylor Mali - 'What Teachers Make'

I'm starting something new here on I, Mosaic. Starting today, every Friday is going to be 'Found Friday', where I pull something poetically awesome from the world of the interwebz and share it with you, my loyal and verse-hungry readers. I can't promise it will all be new to all of you, but maybe at least some of it will be new to some of you...and that's not bad.

So, first up for the first official I, Mosaic Found Friday... "What Teachers Make" by Taylor Mali.

 

From his official bio:
New York City native Taylor Mali is one of the most well known poets to have emerged from the poetry slam movement. His life, words and mission speak of inclusion, not exclusion, which makes him an unexpected force among dissimilar wordsmiths.

After nine years of teaching in a regular classroom, Mali sought out a larger one, and he has performed and lectured globally ever since. Still a staunch supporter of educators and the art of teaching, Mali’s New Teacher Project has a goal of attracting 1,000 new people to the field of education through “poetry, persuasion, and perseverance.”

He is the author of two books of poetry, The Last Time As We Are (Write Bloody Books 2009) and What Learning Leaves (Hanover 2002), and four CDs of spoken word.

A past president of the nonprofit Poetry Slam, Inc., Taylor is one of the fortunate ones who make his living as a spoken-word and voiceover artist. He has also narrated several books on tape, including The Great Fire (for which he won the Golden Earphones Award for children’s narration).
This is one of my favorite poets doing what he does best: speaking truth to and about those who desperately require it. This poem grabs me every time I listen to it, and the revealing light it casts on both the realistic function and nonappreciation of teachers in our country is staggering. You probably thought of one or two of your own teachers while watching this, didn't you? I know I did.

Have a great Friday, everyone! If you happen to be a student, give your teacher/professor/instructor your best. They probably appreciate your efforts more than you'll ever know.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting way to bring writers to light! Thanks for sharing, Rodney. I like this idea, of course I'll be watching/waiting for who you find next Friday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dani. I think it'll be good for me to focus on promoting others and get my mind off of myself every once in a while. I'm also just feeling good to give myself something structured to blog about. Should be fun!

      Delete