Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Love like Lubrication - 4/30

Today's poem was at least partially inspired by the prompt posted at the NaPoWriMo hub.

A couple of days ago, I suggested you write a poem based on a particular song. Today’s prompt is another musical one, loosely adapted from the suggestions here, which revolve around writing a poem based on a musical form. (Hat tip to P. Agarwal!) Now, the forms they suggest are rather complicated classical forms, but I suggest you write a blues.
I spent some time trying to write something in the traditional blues domain (three line stanzas, the first two repeating) but just wasn't getting anywhere. So I started something else expecting to just do my own thing, sans prompt. Turns out the prompt was still working in me, because this piece came out pretty bluesy, if not the exact structure specified.

A poem of longing, separation, loneliness, and love...pretty bluesy indeed. Hope you dig it.

Love like Lubrication

Stay away too long,
stay away too long,
and you might just get to hear
this choking motor’s song.

Leave me here alone,
leave me here alone,
and you’ll see rings too dark for steam
coming through your answered phone.

Think of me no more,
think of me no more,
and all the oil in the world
won’t save my smoldering core.

Stay away too long,
stay away too long,
and you might just get to hear
this choking motor's song.

No comments:

Post a Comment