Friday, April 22, 2011

The Trial of Simon Peter - NaPoWriMo 22/30


An Easter-themed poem in accordance with Good Friday, when we remember Jesus Christ's sacrifice for the world's redemption. This piece in particular follows Peter, who denied Christ three times before fleeing His presence in guilt and shame. It speaks on the redeeming love of Christ, how no matter how vile we are in our own eyes, He is quick to restore us from our faults. How great He is, truly.

The Trial of Simon Peter

“Forgive them, Father, for their witness.”
Forgive me, Lord, for I am faithless!

The second crowing of the cock
augmented all I thought
I knew, and segmented this heart became,
shaming me to flee from You.
I did not stand when You they fell
with blows and disbelief like hail.
I spoke not truth when You they mocked,
I could not stay when Your gaze affirmed
the sentence that cawing guilt-knell locked.
I could not withstand your eyes, my Lord,
so I fled to shower the darkened waste
with the waters of my weeping. Poured
salty infidelity on the bitterness of dust,
of more good here
where jackals prey, where
fabrics fray and metals rust.
Of more good here are lying lips
where no ear can behold their sin,
where no crucifix can rise
from such selfish, traitorous, devil-kin,
friend-betraying, God-forsaking,
evil, faithless lies.

Forgive me, Lord, for I am faithless.
“Forgive him, Father, his false witness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment